Happy 17th Birthday Debian! You rock. Keep up the good works.
- The Digitizor Team
Debian turns 17 today. Yes it has really come a long way from being Murdock's pet project back in 1993 to being the distribution on which the most popular Linux distribution, Ubuntu, is based on now.
I know we do not write a lot about Debian here at Digitizor. But, hey, we do write a lot about Ubuntu and Debian is to thank for Ubuntu.
Anyway some interesting facts and history about Debian:
- Debian was started in 1993 by Ian Murdock while he was studying in Purdue University.
- It was called The Debian Linux System initially.
- Debian is named after Ian's girlfriend at the time Debra Lynn and himself. (Debra + Ian)
- All of the Debian releases are codenamed after characters from the movie Toy Story.
- The unstable distribution of Debian is called "sid" after Sid Phillips the main antagonist in the first Toy Story movie.
- One of the most well known Open-Source advocate, Bruce Perens spent two years as the Project Leader of Debian.
- We have said it before but, Ubuntu, perhaps the most recognizable Linux Distribution today, is based on Debian. This only goes on to show how solid Debian really is.
- The Open Source Definition was first created as Debian Free Software Guidelines.
- A dispute between Mozilla and Debian in 2006 led to the rebranding of Firefox as Iceweasel in Debian.
- Debian has been officially ported to more than 10 architectures and there are around eight unofficial or unstable ports.
Feel free to add more in the comment.
Related Posts by Tags: birthday, debian