Finally, Microsoft is releasing the final version of the Service Pack 1 (SP1) patches for both MS Office 2011 and Sharepoint 2011. Service Packs for both are scheduled to be released by the end of June 2011. However, these updates will be available via Windows Automatic Updates only after 90 days from the planned June release date. Till then users can download these updates from the download center manually.
Here are some highlights about the note worthy features of Office 2010 SP1:
- Outlook Bug Fix: "Snooze Time" not reset between appointments
- Powerpoint: "Use Presenter View" changed to display the slide show on secondary monitor (if any)
- Access: Social Media makes way, Application Part Gallery now features more community content
- Word Web: Now you can print documents while in the “Edit Mode.”
- Excel Web: Charts insertion into Excel Workbooks now supported.
- Outlook Web: Attachment Preview now supported.
- All Office Web Apps now have built-in support for Google Chrome browser
And here are the updates which will come from the SP1 for Sharepoint 2010:
- Project Server and SharePoint Server: Better alignment between browser support.
- Sharepoint Server: Improved backup / restore functionality
- Project Professional: Now you can synchronize scheduled tasks with SharePoint task lists.
- Search Server: Support for searching PPSX files
- Improved spelling suggestions in Canadian English, French, Swedish, and European Portuguese.