Hold your breath for a new enticer from Google – all new Chrome OS. Two years ago Google had announced about its Chrome OS release, and here it is for you. Samsung Chromebook Series 5 is one of the two laptops to have Chrome OS as its operating system. It will be available from June 15th. The Chromebook was unveiled on the second day of Google I/O Conference.
Samsung Chromebook Series 5 :
It has got a sleek look just like any other light-weighted laptop, the cover has got a Chrome logo to give a Chrome's feel. Dimensionally it measures 11.6 by 8.6 by 0.8 inches and comes in a weight of nearly 3.3 pounds. The boot time is less than 10 seconds which has been an issue for the Android tablets.
Chromebook is built and optimized for the web, where people spend most of their computing time. Whenever it is turned on, it automatically updates itself. No update prompts there. The built-in Wi-Fi quickly connects to a wireless network as the system boots up. Websites load quickly without a lag time and run smoothly. The Chromebooks are designed to get faster over time as new updates are released.
Some basic features include :
- The Series 5 has a 1.66 GHz dual-core Intel Atom N570 processor, 2 GB of RAM, and a local cache of 16 GB mSATA SSD.
- Physical Connectivity – 2 USB 2.0 Ports, 1 SDHC card slot, a SIM card slot (on the 3G capable models), 1 Video-out port, 3.5 mm headphone jack with microphone as well. A 1 MP Webcam for video chat.
- Keyboard – Chromebook comes with a dedicated search keys and new row of web enabled keys in place of the old function keys. The browser friendly keys include page up, page forward and new window.
- Web Apps- Every Chromebook runs millions of web apps, from games to spreadsheets to photo editors. Powered by HTML 5, many apps don’t need regular connectivity. For trying out the latest apps one can visit the Chrome Web Store or just type the URL.
- Security- Chromebooks are designed to defend against the threats of malware and viruses. There has been incorporated multiple layer of protection including sandboxing, data encryption and verified booting. All the apps, document, settings are stored safely in the clouds.
Samasung’s Chromebook is expected to cost at around $430 for the Wi-Fi version and $499 for the 3G version. The orders can be made on Amazon starting 15th June. The price seems to be bit higher as per the laptops with other OS available in the market. The Chrome OS has got a lot of attractive features, it will surely take some time before everyone start relying on its functionalities.
Source : pcworld
Related Posts by Tags: chrome os, chromebook, cloud, cloud computing, samsung