Earlier today we reported about the release of the Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala Release Candidate. Now, the release candidate of all the official *buntus, that is Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu Studio, Mythbuntu and Edubuntu, are now available for download. If everything goes well these release candidates will go on to become the final version to be released on 29th October,
Here is from where you can download the CD (or DVD) image:
- You can either do a direct download or download through torrent. To minimize load on the servers, download through torrents is generally engouraged.
- To do a clean install or to use as a live version (not all of them supports running a live session) download the desktop version of the image. The desktop version will have the word "desktop" in the name.
- If however you plan to do an upgrade from Jaunty, download the alternate version. It will have the word "alternate" in the name.
- Only alternate version is available for Ubuntu Studio and it does not support a live session. So you need to have either Ubuntu or Ubuntu Studio already installed to test Ubuntu Studio 9.10 RC.
- Only desktop versions are available for Mythbuntu and Edubuntu and both supports live session. So if you want to install either of them in your system you have to do a clean install.
- All the releases, except Ubuntu Studio and Edubuntu, are CD size images, i.e. under 700 MB.
- Netbook versions are available for Ubuntu and Kubuntu. They have the word "netbook" in the name. The Kubuntu Netbook is however meant to be just a technical preview.
Download the image, burn it in a CD (or DVD) and test from the live CD or do a clean install or upgrade. Please note, however, that this is still not a final release and so installation on a production machine is not recommended as bugs are expected.