If you’re in the US or the UK, you may now see and update your information on your Windows Live Profile using SMS (text messaging). No need of a WAP enabled phone or any data internet plan for your phone. You just need to text some predefined codes to a number (ShortCode) and you can update your personal message, check your Windows Live Calendar, invite people to join your network and get contact information for people in your Windows Live contact list. All this with just an SMS (Text Message).
The Shortcodes (Numbers to which you have to send the SMS / Text Messages)
To use the Windows Live via SMS, You will have to register your mobile number with Windows Live .
- If you’re in the US and your mobile operator is AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, or Nextel, your shortcode is MyLive or 695483.
- If you’re in the UK and your mobile operator is Vodafone, Orange, T-Mobile, O2, or Virgin, your shortcode is 88804.
How to use the Windows Live SMS services
- To update your personal message (the one that appears on your Profile page): create a new text message, type the command update followed by your personal message, and send it to the shortcode.
- To see your Windows Live Calendar events for the day or next: Send a text message with the command today or tomorrow. Windows Live sends you a text message that lists the date, time, and subject of each event.
- To Invite people to your network : send a text message to the shortcode with the command invite followed by their e-mail address.
- To search your Windows Live contacts: Send a text message with the command srch followed by the name of the person you’re looking for.
For a detailed overview about the Windows Live via SMS serveci you should read this spaces entry from the Windows Live team. This service will be available soon in other parts of the world too.