5 More Interesting Facts About Facebook
Earlier we did an article on "9 Interesting facts about Facebook and its users". This article can be considered as a sequel to that article. Here we present to you five more interesting facts about Facebook.
So here goes five interesting facts about Facebook:
- Facebook has a total of 30,000 servers. This makes it one of the largest internet companies who have revealed its server count. This however is nowhere close to the more than 50,000 servers that hosting provider like Rackspace, 1&1 Internet and OVH each have.
- Facebook has added 20,000 servers in the last 18 months. Out of the 30,000 servers that we mentioned above, 20,000 of them has been added in the last 18 month. This probably makes it one of the steepest growth in the server count. To fund this massive server purchase, Facebook burrowed $100 millions in May 2008.
- Facebook hosts over 80 billions images now. Most of these 80 billion images consist of photos uploaded by Facebook users. To put things into perspective, if an average picture uploaded is about 500KB in size, to store the entire Facebook image collection, you will need 10 million 4GB DVDs.
- In addition to the 80 billion images, Facebook serves up 600,000 photos per second to users.
- Facebook generates about 25 TB of log data every day. This amount of data is about 1,000 times the amount of mails handled by the US Postal Service daily.