An Update Of What Is To Come With KRunner In KDE SC 4.4
With the next version of KDE SC to be released early next year, KRunner, one of KDE SC's most powerful feature since v4.0, is getting some major updates. The hard feature freeze for KDE SC 4.4 is already done. So, in this article, we shall look at some changes that is being introduced to KRunner for KDE SC 4.4 and then some new plugins coming with it.
KRunner is getting quite a few updates for the next release. Here are the major ones:
- KRunner now appears glued to the top of the screen in contrast to the floating window style that was implemented in previous versions. It is, however, still possible to get back the floating style.
- Pressing Alt+F2 when the KRunner is open closes it. This is aimed at making it more useful for applications like spellcheck, currency conversion, where you need to close it again as soon as you finish what you are doing.
- KRunner will also have the so called "action-on-result" support. This is basically a task oriented interface with the buttons appearing adjacent to the respective entries.
- Another change is that the KRunner plugins will power Kickoff's search and Plasma Netbook's search and launch activity page.
Besides the changes in KRunner itself, there are also new Runners (i.e. the KRunner plugins) that are being included in KDE SC 4.4.
- Kill-9: This is for killing unresponsive programs.
- Solid: This runner lists the storage devices allowing the user to do what they usually do from the Device Notifier Plasmoid.
- Windows: This enables the user to switch and manage virtual desktops and windows.
- Plasma Desktop Control: This runner enables the user to open the Plasma Scripting console from KRunner. This is for the more advanced users.
- Audio Player control: The name says it all. This runner is to control the audio player.