So finally its confirmed. At the Apple Press Conference today, Steve Jobs has announced that they are giving a free to everyone Bumper to everyone who has bought the iPhone 4 till 30th September. iPhone 4 customers can start applying for the free Bumper at the Apple website next week. Those who have already bought a Bumper will be refunded.
Apple cannot make the Bumpers fast enough. So, they are going to give away third party cases if the users want them. Jobs also said that users can send back the iPhone 4 within 30 days of purchase, if they are not happy with it, for no restocking fee.
Here are some of the other things he mentioned:
- All smartphones have the same problem that the iPhone 4 is facing. He showed it with the BlackBerry Bold 9700, Samsung Omnia II and HTC Droid Eris.
- Apple knew about the problem but they didn't think that it would be a big deal.
- The problem has been blown out of proportion. The percentage of customers who have called AppleCare about the antenna problem is only 0.55.
- The return rate of the iPhone 4 is only 1.7%. The iPhone 3GS had a return rate of 6%.
- The call drop rate of the iPhone 4 per 100 calls is only 1 more than that of the iPhone 3GS. Steve Jobs said that this is probably because case of iPhone 4 is harder to find since it has a new design.
- The proximity sensor will be fixed in the next update.
[image credit: Mobile Crunch]