How to install a FTP server in Windows 7?
Having an FTP server along with your webserver has benefits of it's own. You can transfer files very easily to and from your server. Also, editing files on your webserver is a breeze if you enable FTP. We have already shown you how to install the IIS Webserver in Windows 7.
Now, we will tell you how you can install a FTP Web server along with your IIS webserver in Windows 7. Please note that installation of FTP and the IIS Web server are not inter-dependent, which means you need not compulsorily install a webserver in order to install an FTP server and vice-versa.
1. Go to Control Panel > Programs. Then click on "Turn Windows features On or Off". You can check this detailed guide on how to add or remove Windows features in Windows 7.
2. Now from the list that opens, locate the option for Internet Information Services and select FTP Server. Click on OK. Installation will take some time.
3. After your FTP server is installed, you can check the installation using an ftp client by entering localhost as the hostname and 21 as the port number. You should also read the article on how to manage the settings for your FTP server in windows 7.
Some additional steps for configuring the FTP sites and servers to work: (Thanks to Wildfire in the comments)
1. Open the IIS Manager
2. In the tree view (on the far right), right-click “Server (ServerUser)” and select “Add FTP Site…”
3. Follow the wizard to configure the FTP server.
Once you've done this, IIS will have your FTP server listed under Web Sites so you can configure it.
Related How-Tos: Install a web server in Windows 7 Install Telnet in Windows 7