How-To install Microsoft IIS Server on Windows 7?
Microsoft IIS (Internet Information Services, formerly called Internet Information Server) is a set of Internet-based services for servers created by Microsoft to be used with Microsoft Windows. It is the world's second most popular web server only after the Apache HTTP Server. The servers provide services for File Transfer Protocol, SMTP for e-mail and HTTP/HTTPS for web server.
In this article we will explain you how to install The Microsoft IIS Webserver on your computer. The IIS Server is NOT available for Microsoft Windows 7 Home edition as they say the Home edition was not meant for networking. So you must have the Proffessional edition or the Ultimate edition of Windows 7 installed on your computer for installing the IIS Webserver. You will also be needing the Windows 7 DVD during this install. Now, Follow the steps below:
1. Place the Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 7 Proffessional DVD into your DVD-Rom Drive.
2. Goto Start > Control Panel > Programs
3. From the dialog box that opens, click on Turn Windows features on or off. You can check this detailed guide on how to add or remove Windows features in Windows 7.
4. This brings another dialog box that contains a list of many Windows related services
5. Check the box for 'Internet Information Services (IIS)' leaving all the default installation settings intact. If you would like to install additional services, then expand each option and select them.
6. Once IIS is installed on your machine you can view your home page in a web browser by typing 'http://localhost' (you can substitute 'localhost' for the name of your computer) into the address bar of your web browser. If you have not placed your web site into the default directory you should now be looking at the IIS documentation.
7. Service and Configuration management for your IIS web server: Read our article on how to manage settings for an IIS web server in Windows 7.
8. You might like to install IIS Tuner in order to configure your IIS server installation for optimum performance.
Related: Install Telnet in Windows 7, Install FTP server in Windows 7
Watch this Screencast which explains all the steps shown above:
Watch it Directly on our tech-show portal.
Technorati Tags: windows 7, IIS, microsoft