Although both Ubuntu and Fedora replaced Pidgin with Empathy, the Pidgin developers have been hard at work and has released a new version of Pidgin - Pidgin 2.7.
This version of Pidgin brings a lot of new features and improvement:
- Added support for IPv6 for Bonjour
- Support sending and receiving HTML-formatted messages for ICQ
- Use the proper URL for "View web profile" link for ICQ buddies
- Support file transfer thumbnails (previews) for images in MSN
- Use G!tkStatusIcon for the docklet, providing better integration in notification area
- Added UI for sending attentions (buzz, nudge) on supporting protocols
- Added a menu set mood globally for all mood-supporting accounts
You can view the complete changelog here.
Currently it is not available in the Pidgin-Developers-PPA for Ubutnu yet. However, you can install it from Andrea Piccinelli's PPA (only Karmic and Lucid). To do it open the terminal and execute the following commands:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:frasten/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install pidgin
Related Posts by Tags: Linux, new, pidgin, release, ubuntu