Nmap 5.20 was released recently with some exciting changes. However, it is not yet available for Ubuntu. In this article, we will show you how you can compile and install Nmap 5.20 from the source code in Ubuntu.
To install Nmap 5.20, simply follow the steps given below:
1. Make sure you have bzip2 and g++ installed. If not, tou can install them using the command
sudo apt-get install bzip2 g++
2. Download nmap-5.20.tar.bz2 in any location of your choice. In this example we are going to assume that it is downloaded in ~/Downloads.
3. After downloading open the terminal and go to the download location. In my case it is ~/Downloads, so the command would be
4. Extract the file using the command given below in the terminal,
bzip2 -cd nmap-5.20.tar2 | tar xvf -
5. Go to the nmap-5.20 directory with the command
6. After that run the following commands one after the another to build and finish the installation.
sudo make install
After running the last command, nmap-5.20 will be installed in your system. You can check the version using the command