One player that doesn't need any kind of introduction, a player that can play almost any media file, one that is Open-Source! Yes, VideoLAN project has finally released VLC 1.0.0 'Goldeneye'.
Generally, to play some media formats, you would need to install a separate codec pack like K-Lite, but VLC eliminates the need for all that. Just install VLC and you're all set to play any random media format you can think of.
There are hardly any media formats that are not supported by VLC, and this version adds a few more to the supported formats list. AirTunes streaming, New HD codecs, Live Recording are some of the many additions to the 1.0.0 version.
As with any new release, this new version also fixes a number of bugs.
Some of the features present and newly incorporated in VLC 1.0.0. include -
- Free, Open Source and cross-platform
- Independent of systems codecs to support most video types
- Live recording
- Instant pausing and Frame-by-Frame support
- Finer speed controls
- New HD codecs (AES3, Dolby Digital Plus, TrueHD, Blu-Ray Linear PCM, Real Video 3.0 and 4.0, ...)
- New formats (Raw Dirac, M2TS, ...) and major improvements in many formats...
- New Dirac encoder and MP3 fixed-point encoder
- Video scaling in fullscreen
- RTSP Trickplay support
- Zipped file playback
- Customizable toolbars
- Easier encoding GUI in Qt interface
- Better integration in Gtk environments
- MTP devices on linux
- AirTunes streaming
- New skin for the skins2 interface
It is a highly recommended player to watch all your HD content. The one feature, apart from the multiple format support, which makes VLC so popular is the ability to play partially downloaded content.
VLC 1.0.0 is available, as always, as a free download for Windows, Linux and Mac users.
If you still haven't tried VLC Player, do give it a try. Tell us how did you like the new and improved VLC 1.0.0 also-known-as Goldeneye by posting a comment below.
Download it from here.